Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Chicken Soup for the Lazy Writer...


I’ve been reading one book for close to six months now. Can you believe that? That’s how bad things have gotten for me with reading for some time now. 

It’s bordering on ridiculous. And it’s one of the reasons why writing this blog or at least pretending to write it, is one of the items on my to-do list.

I bought “A Cup of Comfort for writers... by Colleen Sell” because it called out to me like any book worth its salt (to me at least) would have to do before I’d put my money into it.

I had been living like a the miserable result of a tryst between Guilt and Procrastination ever since an entry I’d submitted for a writing contest in 2010 was shortlisted and I was chosen to attend a writers workshop as one of the twenty selected from about four hundred aspiring writers.

We had a mentally stimulating time at the ten-day workshop followed. I left at the end of the gathering brimming with ideas. I couldn’t control the buzzing in my head from all the stories 

I was ready to tell, of the words I was going to weave and marshal and command to sit together in the community that I was going to call my book.

I was armed with a barrow-full of tips and wisdom from world respected writers like Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Chika Unigwe and the very affable Binyavanga Wainaina (winner of the 2002 Caine Prize for African Writing), and as far as I knew back then, I had everything I needed to become the first published writer from my immediate family. 
Or so I thought.

Reality hit me almost as soon as I got back to my news booth at work. I had to figure out how to do all the things I did as head of news, presenter and producer at Smooth, and still have enough love left in me with which to smile at my laptop enough to beat out a structure for my first book.

That's when I really understood how jealous the writing muse could be. It demands total submission and can’t stand competition. 
I wondered if that was why writers often go away to finish work on their current book. You just can’t juggle distraction and writing. At least I have found that I can’t.

Then the laptop gave me the perfect excuse for not writing; it caught a bug. I gladly tucked it away somewhere not too easy to get to, and told my conscience I would start writing as soon as I bought another more appropriate writing tool aka Laptop. 

Well I now have a beautiful recent model HP-Pavilion laptop, and all I’ve done with it so far, is write the regular articles I write for a Wedding Magazine I’ve been writing for, for over three years now.

I still haven’t worked on that structure for my first book. My current excuse is that I need to get a Samsung Galaxy tab, one that I can carry about and whip out anywhere the muse finds me.
But I’ve been living in guilt and it’s killing me because I just know I’m not ready to put more than a hundred thousand Naira into another gadget I won’t use much and if I have to wait till I have a tab to write, I might as well just push that book back by another three years.

I thought if I read more, I’d find the push I needed to start writing. That was why I bought a cup of comfort for writers. 
It’s a really good book, I read one piece of it at a time whenever guilt lunges for my conscience about reading or writing, since I figure reading a book about writing and writers is as close to killing two birds with one stone as any “almost writer” could get.
 
So far, I have obviously not been inspired to start writing that book, but hey, at least I’m writing about writing a book. Does that count?   



No comments:

Post a Comment