Sunday, February 24, 2013

Will You Dance?


Look at them dance
They dance to the throb of the drums
The drums I beat for you,
They do not dance like you would
They cannot cause the rhythm is yours and not theirs.
But they cannot refrain from dancing,
Why do you?
Dance for me,
Let me see your body finish for me
What my fingers started for you
 Hold your dashiki by the fringe,
Throw back your shoulders, and twirl.
Will you not dance?
I beat the samba,
I made the Bata as potent as conk ‘Oguro’.
The tinkle of the Saworo surely would incite you?
But you do not dance
Do I not beat these drums well?
Why then do they dance, if my song be not sweet?
I started at dawn,
Drummed through high moon
Evening has come,
You did not dance, I beat Rumba,
I beat calypso
Drummed salsa,
Juju also
You have not danced
Why do you let others danced to your song?
See! They are about to drink your cup
They intend to take your place
Only the evening light keeps them at bay
What will happen when night comes?
When mothers call the children to bed?
When the glowing embers used in making dinner
Have turned into cold ash?
What will happen when the ‘Gangans’ leather tears?
My shoulders ache
My fingers are bleeding
My bottom is sore
I am worn and weary
Time is running out
The rhythm is turning slow
Will you take this chance?
Will you dance?


No comments:

Post a Comment