Sunday, February 24, 2013

WILL YOU DANCE?

Look at them dance
 They dance to the throb of the drums 
The drums I beat for you,
 They do not dance like you would
 They cannot cause the rhythm is yours and not theirs. 
But they cannot refrain from dancing, 
Why do you? 
 Dance for me, 
Let me see your body finish for me What my fingers started for you Hold your dashiki by the fringe, 
Throw back your shoulders, and twirl.
 Will you not dance? 
I beat the samba,
 I made the Bata as potent as conk ‘Oguro’. 
The tinkle of the Saworo surely would incite you? 
But you do not dance 
 Do I not beat these drums well? 
Why then do they dance, if my song be not sweet? 
I started at dawn, 
Drummed through high Noon 
Evening has come, 
You did not dance 
 I beat Rumba, 

I beat calypso 
Drummed salsa, 
Juju also 
You have not danced 
 Why do you let others danced to your song? 
See! They are about to drink your cup 
They intend to take your place 
Only the evening light keeps them at bay 
 What will happen when night comes? 
When mothers call the children to bed? 
When the glowing embers 
used in making dinner Have turned into cold ash? 
What will happen when the ‘Gangans’ leather tears?
 My shoulders ache 
My fingers are bleeding 
My bottom is sore 
I am worn and weary 
Time is running out 
The rhythm is turning slow 
 Will you take this chance? 
Will you dance?

No comments:

Post a Comment